Sunday, November 30, 2008

recipe…3 sugar Palmiers

As I promised here is the recipe for:

Three-Sugar Palmiers (Palm Cookies)

Ingredients

1/2 cup each of Demerara, Azúcar Morena, and Sanding Sugars

1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

2 sheets puff pastry
(I made my own a day ahead this time, and refrigerated it overnight.
But I have used pre-made frozen puff pastry many times, with good results.)


Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine the 3 sugars and kosher salt.

Pour 1 cup of the sugar/salt mixture on a flat surface such as wooden board or marble.

Unfold each sheet of puff pastry onto the sugar and pour 1/2 cup of the sugar mixture on top, spreading it evenly on the puff pastry.

Make certain that the pastry has an even covering of sugar.


With a rolling pin, using even pressure, roll across the dough until the sugar is pressed into the puff pastry uniformly.

Now with the tips of your finger, roll the sides of the square toward the center until you have what looks like 2 side-by-side “jelly-roll” shapes that meet in the middle.

Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes for easier slicing.


Slice the dough into 3/8-inch slices and place the slices, on baking sheets lined with parchment paper or Silpat silicone mat.

Bake the cookies for 6 minutes or until just caramelized and pale brown on the bottom.

Then turn with a spatula and bake another 3 to 5 minutes, until caramelized on the other side.

*** Watch these cookies carefully as they can very easily burn…!

If you have an older oven as I do, or are unsure about how hot your oven runs, get an inexpensive internal oven thermometer at the hardware store.
I got one last year about for $5.00 USD.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talk about glorious photos - that one of the finished product just glows! I know Demerara and sanding but having googled Azucar Morena, is it what I've been calling piloncillo? A brownish sugar in a cone shape that you have to chisel away at to use it?

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

Merci milles fois, Jeanette...I am so pleased that you like the images...
I image I answered your question in the last post...

But piloncillo is very different than Azucar Morena in its chemical structure and make-up. For sure their tastes are quite different as well.

Piloncillo is a hard structured, low moisture brown sugar with a deep molasses back taste. Even though there is the lighter brown sugar piloncillo ~ blanco and a dark brown piloncillo ~ oscuro...

Azucar Morena is a white sugar with a very soft carmel flavor and a slightly different chemical structure producing a different flavor when used in baking than the white granulated sugar we are used to using.

Anonymous said...

I love how versatile palmier recipes are. You can make them sweet and savory. My favorite is using sundried tomatoes with basil and cheese.

A Brush with Color said...

They look fabulous, Terrie! I want to make these! I usually bring some baked goodies to work my first time home near the holidays and those would be good to make. Yum. Thanks! I agree--gorgeous photos of it all. My stomach is growling now.

Natalia said...

YUM YUM YUM!!!
Thanks for reminding me about these, Hubby loves them. I will make him some tomorrow :)