Sunday, May 31, 2009

baby girl Elberta…

I was in the process of writing a blog post about my urban-suburban garden and went out to take some images of my fledgling plants. My dear sister was visiting at the time and was the first to spy my very first fruit of the tomato vine for this season.

I am proud to introduce the newest member of my urban container veggie garden,
a baby girl tomato...!

Baby "Elberta Girl" is the first visible tomato of my growing season and I am proud to say that she beat out my first tomato of last year by more than a month.
Last year my first tomato was born on the fourth of July.

This is an Heirloom variety called Elberta Girl. I spied “her” picture in my fave book of the season, by Amy Goldman, The Heirloom Tomato From Garden to Table and knew that I had to try to grow some of these beauties myself.

At first sight, I thought this tomato was one of the most beautiful that I had ever seen. As I researched this tomato, I found that it took its name from its resemblance to its namesake, the famous Elberta Peach because of its slightly fuzzy skin.

My Elberta Girl is still just an infant, but when she grows and matures to ripeness, she will have bright red skin with showy pale golden-orange stripes that shines against its silvery-green foliage. I can’t wait to invite her to her first salad bowl.
Please stay tuned to watch Elberta and her other Heirloom tomato siblings grow in my urban-suburban garden…
Grow, baby, grow…!

9 comments:

A Brush with Color said...

Wow--congratulations! That does seem really early! There is nothing like a fresh garden tomato, is there? My mouth is watering just thinking about it. What great photos.

Anonymous said...

Aw, this is so cute! I love the name Elberta Girl! Can't wait to see "her" grow up :)

~I AM Love~* said...

Oh, Terrie, this is such exciting news! She certainly is a little beauty, her 'stripes' are just now becoming visible!

And this is so ironic that you posted this tonight. Just now I was poring over Amy Goodman's book myself as the farm where I'm working has inherited about 10 heirloom tomatoes from Cornell extension to grow as part of their research. So today we planted them!

I also wanted to pass on a website to you which carries many of the tomatoes she catalogs: Underwood Gardens, but I see you've already done the research!

Looking forward to following along with Baby Elberta's progress, along with that of her siblings :)

Barbara

~I AM Love~* said...

Oh yes, and I was so excited about her appearance, I forgot to ask when did you plant them? This is just amazing how early she's blossomed!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new baby! Our tomatoes haven't "conceived" yet, so there are no fruit on the plants. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
That variety is very interesting. I've never seen it before but then there are so many.

PeterParis said...

When you live together and get "friends" with these growing lovely tomatoes, maybe it hurts to eat them at the end?

Gail Peck said...

I've failed miserably with my tomatoes! Yours is indeed a little beauty.

Anonymous said...

Mine don't have flowers on them yet. Still waiting. We planted way too many tomato plants. :)

Culinary Cory said...

Such a sweet, sweet post. I love heirloom tomatoes and looking forward to them coming in season soon. Nurture her with care. Watch her grow and eat her with pride. :)